KWH Mirka Ltd is a world leader in abrasives technology innovation, offering a complete range of technically superior, high quality abrasives, innovatively designed tools, supplementary products and complete sanding systems. This total innovative solution delivers real benefits to customers in terms of speed, first-class efficiency, surface finish quality and cost effectiveness, even when tackling the most demanding applications.
Mirka was founded in 1943 in Helsinki by the engineer Onni Aulo. Due to the war-time circumstances and technical problems, the production did not start until January 1946. Despite obstacles and strict regulations at that time, Onni Aulo succeeded in just half a year's time to learn how to manage the production process, something which was quite an achievement. After many moves and various economic successes the company decided in 1962 to move to Kiitola in Jeppo, where they had found suitable premises. In 1966 Oy Keppo Ab bought Mirka and in 1973 the two companies were merged.
Already in the early 1960'es a considerable part of Mirka's products were exported to the USA, as well as to Great Britain and Iceland. Thanks to the growing export markets, the productivity more than doubled in 1965. At the end of the 1970's, exports amounted to 54 % of the turnover.
In order to survive on the international abrasives market, it was necessary to give up the cheap bulk products and concentrate instead on product development and high class industry products. In 1969, the first high class products reached the market and in the same year the manufacturing of self-adhesive discs started, which is still today the most important product group.
Since the new products required better production equipment and enlarged facilities, it was decided in 1972 to invest in a modern factory which was ready the following year.
In 1977 parts of the production were moved to Oravais. The Oravais factory has been gradually expanding over the years, most recently in 2003. The factory in Jeppo has been gradually expanding during the 1980'es and 90'es. The automated warehouse, the Jumbo Tower, Mirka's landmark in Jeppo was ready in 1996 and in September 2004 the newest building, hall 9 and office facilities, were inaugurated.
Today Mirka is an international company and a member of the KWH Group. The KWH Group was established in 1984 when Oy Keppo Ab bought half the shares of Oy Wiik & Höglund Ab. The KWH Group is an internationally recognized actor in the business world of today.